Sunday, April 24, 2016

(Part of the Reason) Why I'm A Druid

               “I don’t see why you’re a Druid.  It would be so much easier just to be a Christian.”
                I hear this almost every time I go to any family event.  My relatives cannot understand my having left Christianity and fervently embracing Druidry.  In their lives, religion is something that you claim and profess to other people, and defend if anyone disagrees with it.  But that is almost the full extent of it.  There are some few principles one is supposed to incorporate into one’s life, but nothing more than lip service is paid to those ideas.  (This is far from the only problem my relatives have with my religious choice, but the others aren't appropriate for this post.  Maybe at some other time I will write about them.)
                That, least, was always the impression I got from it, and this was the religion in which I grew up, my first exposure to the concept of religion.
                What originally drew me toward Paganism in general was the more open and inclusive approach to belief.  But I soon realized that most Pagan religions were as likely to tell you what to believe as the Christian religion in which I had grown up.  That wasn’t what I wanted.  I didn’t want answer to be given to me.  I didn’t want “easy”.  I didn’t want answers to be given to me.  I wanted to search for them, and find them on my own.  Oh, I didn’t mind being given direction for that search, but I needed to find knowledge, not be spoon-fed.
                And so my search for a religious path continued.  I did a lot of research and finally realized that a Druidic path was closest to what I wanted.  Further research down that avenue brought to my attention the group knowns as Ar nDraiocht Fein, or ADF as it is more commonly called.  Reading everything on their public website pretty much made up my mind that this was the kind of group I needed.  I kept this group in mind while I searched other Druidic traditions.  Eventually, I came back to it, having decided that ADF was the group I needed.  I joined it and began seeking the knowledge I wanted.
                The practice of Our Druidry does not dictate belief.  This Druidry is a religion of practice.  What one does to honor the Gods is important.  How one lives one’s life is important.  What one believes – the opinions one holds – is not a matter for the church to decide.
                This fit me perfectly.  I had found a format for worship that could be shared with a community, but at no point did it dictate what I could do in my own personal religious practice.  I find so much power, peace, fulfillment, and joy in the Three Kindreds (Gods, Ancestors, and Nature Spirits), the Three Realms (Land, Sea, and Sky), and the Three Hallows (Fire, Well, and Tree) that I cannot imagine that I would ever seek out any other form of worship.
                I will be writing about these nine concepts, as well as all the other things that I find in Druidry in upcoming installments of this blog.

                So, as to why I am a Druid:  it is the spiritual practice, the religion, through which I can most fully and powerfully approach the gods to which I am drawn, and the system of practice through which I build relationships with Them.

2 comments:

  1. ^_^ I was drawn to ADF and druidry because I disliked the "this is how we/I do it, but you can do it however you want!" That I kept seeing in paths. I didn't want to be identified with others who may do whatever THEY want while representing the path I followed. I found respectable people in ADF. A cohesive culture I now love with all my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^_^ I was drawn to ADF and druidry because I disliked the "this is how we/I do it, but you can do it however you want!" That I kept seeing in paths. I didn't want to be identified with others who may do whatever THEY want while representing the path I followed. I found respectable people in ADF. A cohesive culture I now love with all my heart.

    ReplyDelete